DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Outreach Community Specialist will identify and build relationships with homeless individuals and families living on the street or in vehicles. The Outreach Community Specialist will help clients break the cycle of homelessness by moving from the street to interim housing, accessing necessary services, and rapidly obtaining permanent housing. Outreach Community Specialist will provide individualized client support throughout this entire process, helping each client develop a plan to address their barriers, increase their income, and maintain permanent housing. The Outreach Community Specialist will be responsible in identifying areas in which clients will need assistance to accomplish the outlined goals and objectives (e.g. scheduling appointments, applying for public benefits, identifying subsidized housing, etc.). The Outreach Community Specialist will also be responsible for linking clients with mental health services, substance abuse services, and supportive services as needed.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Navigator, the Outreach Community Specialist will:
1. Screen, provide case management, offer services and conduct outreach to clients with the goal for permanent housing.
2. Perform activities that assist clients in the housing process such as applying for ID, applying for benefits and connecting with supportive services.
3. Conduct follow up activities with clients for housing services at least once per week per hotspot or more.
4. Provide move-in assistance for stable housing and link to the appropriate support services.
5. Provide transportation to clients and their belongings using agency van as needed
6. Provide linkages to resources available for the homeless population
7. Maintain a comprehensive up-to-date resource base for homeless services and referrals
8. Maintain accurate client files, notes and documentation to be provided to the Senior Navigator
9. Perform other duties as assigned
1. AA or Bachelor’s degree in a human service field or equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
2. Minimum of 2-3 years of case management and outreach directly tied to homelessness. Knowledge of homelessness support services.
3. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
4. Strong relationship-building, interpersonal skills and organizational skills.
5. Valid Class C drivers license. Current auto insurance coverage and good driving record.
6. Ability to pass background check and criminal clearance.