Helpline Youth Counseling (HYC), a nonprofit agency has been providing youth services in Southeast Los Angeles County since 1971 with a primary purpose of providing therapeutic counseling and assistance to at-risk, low-income children, youth and their families.
The mission of HYC is to serve youth and their families by promoting the development of strong individuals and families in their community. This is accomplished through education, therapeutic approaches, advocacy, and the utilization of community resources.
HYC has an immediate opening for a Full-time Prevention Specialist who will be responsible for providing prevention services. The Prevention Specialist will plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate culturally relevant behavioral health, prevention, education, and awareness services for youth, parents, school personnel, and other identified audiences within the targeted communities, using evidence-based practices, and strength-based services standards. The Prevention Specialist utilizes appropriate decision-making and program management in collaboration with the Director of Prevention and Treatment Services to ensure compliance with work plan and contract regulations as approved by SAPC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Prevention and Treatment Services, the Prevention Specialist will:
· Provide community-based and school based substance abuse prevention services and activities based upon an evidence-based curriculum selected by the agency to youth and young adults.
· Present, facilitate and co-facilitate various public and school based education presentations.
· Form relationships and linkages with local community members to develop community resources and mentorship opportunities in accordance with SAPC contractual stipulations.
· Provide community-based organizing to youth and young adults.
· Develop, organize, and coordinate substance prevention activities, outreach and events.
· Provide parenting education classes in an effort to provide parents a strong foundation of awareness and skill training for behaviors such as drug use, gang involvement, and violent children.
· Provide accurate and timely documentation.
· Attend all assigned meetings (including collaborative meetings) and other related duties.
· Adhere to and promote HYC’s mission and values. Acts as a role model to others exhibiting high degree of professionalism and ability to work with diverse populations and respect cultural diversity.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in a human services field (human services, child development, psychology, sociology, etc.) or equivalent relevant work experience.
· Experience working with youth for at least two (2) years.
· Experience in providing an evidenced-based parenting program.
· Experience in program administration and working with a community-based organization.
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, projects and priorities.
· Excellent administrative and verbal skills.
· Cultural diversity and multi-lingual skills (Spanish-speaking preferred).
· Ability to pass a TB screening test and Live Scan fingerprinting.
· Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence.
· Willingness to work a flexible schedule: Tuesday to Saturday.
· Valid California state driver’s license.
· Current auto insurance and a good driving record.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made, if requested, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.