Helpline Youth Counseling (HYC) under The California Endowment Foundation to is seeking a Community Organizer to work 30 hours a week to work with the core membership of Long Beach Advocates for Change (LBAFC) to organize residents living in Central Long Beach adjacent to Martin Luther King, Jr. (MLK) Park as a Community Action Council (CAC) to become informed and effective advocates for healthy youth development and violence prevention.
The Community Organizer will report to the Supervisor of Community & Homeless Services and will have the following duties and responsibilities. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Facilitate weekly meeting with LBAFC core membership to provide opportunities for members to discuss, identify and plan advocacy and organizing opportunities in the Long Beach community in line with group goals.
· Facilitate monthly events related to community health & safety, working collaboratively with LBAFC core members to plan and execute events.
· Attend regularly scheduled meeting with other Long Beach based groups, such as Coalition for Safety & Justice and Long Beach Forward.
· Conduct regular outreach to build awareness and increase member participation.
· Network with other groups that are organizing events that align with LBAFC advocacy goals.
· Actively participate in strategic planning for the future of LBAFC with core members.
Skills, Abilities & Qualifications:
· 1 year of previous experience working as a community organizer.
· Understanding and knowledge of the Long Beach Community.
· Availability to work early mornings, evening and weekends as requested by management, and based on the operational needs of the Street Outreach program
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Engagement and rapport building with hard to reach communities.
· Ability to work independently and as part the team
· Ability to exercise mature and professional judgment
· Good problem solving and conflict resolution skills
· A highly motivated self-starter with the ability to coordinate multiple projects and tasks
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office software
· Preferred to be from the Long Beach area
· Ability to maintain regular, consistent attendance
· Employment Eligibility Verification
· Updated tuberculosis test
· Successful completion of background screening
· Driving is an essential function of this position
· Must have Valid Driver's License
· Must provide proof of insurance coverage
· Must be able to qualify for HYC insurance coverage
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made, if requested, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
HYC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. EMPLOYMENT CONSIDERATION IS MADE WITHOUT REGARD TO AGE, RACE, COLOR RELIGION, GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY, GENDER EXPRESSION, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, MARITAL STATUS, NATION ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, MILITARY OR VETERAN STATUS, INCLUDING PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITIES OR ANY OTHER LEGALLY PROTECTED STATUS.